The Crossley 20 hp was introduced in 1909. It became the 20/25 in 1912 and continued until it was replaced by the 25/30 in early 1919.
The number made for civilian use is not known but is estimated at 2100. At least 6000, possibly as many as 10,000, were made for military use. Before about 1919 chassis numbers were not segregated by model type and are in the range up to 12000. Many ex RFC tenders were later re-bodied as cars or buses and possibly given new civilian chassis numbers.
The engines were numbered and date stamped and engine numbers and chassis numbers were close but not usually identical. As an example, engine number 11152 is stamped July 1918.
A 1910 20hp with front wheel brakes. (Unusually we know the chassis number for this car, 710, with engine number 709.) (Photo - Donald Chadwick)
20hp with Mann Egerton Three-quarter Landaulette
20/25 Crossley bodied Landaulette photographed outside the factory in 1917
20/25 5 seat tourer
20/25 Tender with ambulance body
20/25 Tender with light lorry body
20/25 Staff Car. The wheel discs are not standard.
Many cars were supplied in chassis only form to independent coach builders. The above are a selection of the body styles produced by Crossley and other coach builders
The prices quoted are for the home market and come from contemporary advertisements.
|cylinders||4 pair cast. Fixed cylinder head.|
|bore||4 inches (100mm)|
|stroke||5 1/2 inches(140mm)|
|compression ratio||4 to 1|
|RAC Horse Power||25.6|
|carburettor||40 mm Smiths|
|lubrication||pressure to 5 main bearings|
|max power||40 bhp at 1500rpm|
|fuel consumption (typical)||13-15 miles per gallon|
|fuel tank capacity||18 imperial gallons (20/25 staff car)|
|max speed (approx)||55 miles per hour|
|Gears||4 speed right hand change|
|Drive Shaft||Torque tube|
|Rear axle||fully floating axles
straight cut bevel gears
ratio of 4:1 and others
|wheelbase||10 feet 6 inches|
|length||13 feet 6 inches|
|track||4 feet 6 inches|
|width overall||5 feet 3 inches|
|weight||18 cwt (chassis)|
|steering||worm and quadrant|
|suspension - front||semi elliptic springs|
|suspension -rear||three quarter elliptic springs|
|brakes||rear wheel only
(front brakes optional between 1911-12 on 20hp only.
The front and rear brakes were not coupled.
The front were operated by pedal, the rear by lever)
|wheels/tyres||875 x 105 or 880 x 120 (20hp).
Twin rear tyres spoked to a single Rudge hub
on many military versions.