The Crossley 19.6 was the company's first post World War I car and was launched at London's Olympia Motor Show in 1920. Deliveries commenced in 1921 and the final cars seem to have been made in 1926. Approximately 1150 were made.
Known chassis numbers range from 16100 to 17141.
Six seat landaulette
£995 (May 1925)
Saloon-landaulette £1125 (May 1925)
The interior was upholstered in Bedford cord, the front seats in leather. There were two extra folding seats in the rear.
Five seat saloon
£995 (May 1925)
saloon-limousine £1020 (May 1925)
Five seat touring car
£750 (May 1925)
The De-Luxe model was supplied with rear windscreen, luggage grid, Gabriel Snubbers and clock.
Four seat coupé
£995 (May 1925)
The interior was upholstered in Bedford cord. The front seats were individual with the left one hinged to allow access to the rear.
The car illustrated was built for the Prince of Wales in 1923 with coachwork by Barker. It was painted dark blue with black wings. There was an openable division screen behind the front seats "making the car eminently suitable for both owner-driver as well as chauffeur". It was also offered for sale to the public and might or might not be the same as the ones listed by Crossley.
Two seat coupé
No longer listed after 1924 The 1924 catalogue also includes a 2 seater Touring car of similar appearance to the 2 door sports.
Two door sports
No longer listed after 1923. The sports models had a lighter chassis section of 4.5 inches (115 mm) as against 5.5 inches (140mm) on the heavier bodied cars and an external handbrake. They were presumably withdrawn on the introduction of the 20/70 model.
Four door sports
No longer listed after 1923
The above, except for the 4 door coupé, are all Crossley factory bodies. Many cars were supplied in chassis form to independent coach builders.
Colours quoted in the 1922 catalogue were:-
two seater sports - primrose with black leather upholstery or grey with red leather upholstery.
five seater tourer - deep green, battleship grey, tabac brown or smoke blue each with matching leather upholstery.
four seater coupé, seven seater landaulette, five seater saloon - bright royal blue, deep mauve or neutral grey with Bedford cord or leather upholstery.
The wings were always black.
The prices quoted are from contemporary advertisements.
Four wheel brakes using the Perrot system were £35 extra in 1924 but were included in the price from late 1925. Front wheel brake cars have strengthening to the chassis dumb irons, modified wheel bearings and wider front springs as well as a modified axle.
|cylinders||4 monobloc with detachable head|
|bore||3 1/2 inches (89mm)|
|stroke||5 7/8 inches(150mm )|
|RAC Horse Power||19.6|
|carburettor||Smiths 5 jet|
|lubrication||pressure fed to main and big end bearings|
|ignition||magneto - Lucas EB4, ML CG4 or BTH G4|
|max power||53 bhp at 2000rpm|
|acceleration||0-40 mph (0-65 kph) in 38 secs|
|fuel consumption (typical)||22 mpg (12.8 l/100km)|
|max speed (approx)||64 mph (103 km/h)|
|Gears|| 4 forward + reverse gears.
ratios - 1:1, 1.54:1, 2.54:1, 3.8:1
|Clutch||Ferodo faced cone|
|Rear axle|| spiral bevel
ratios - 3.57:1 (touring cars and coupés)
3.33:1 (two seater sports)
4.08:1 (Landaulettes and saloons)
|wheelbase||10 feet 4 inches (3.15m)|
|length||14 feet 7 inches (4.45 m)|
|track||4 feet 7 inches (1.40 m)|
|width overall||5 feet 5 inches (1.65 m)|
|weight|| 18 cwt (915 kg) (chassis only)
28 cwt 2 qrs (1447 kg) (tourer)
32 cwt (1625 kg) (saloon)
|steering||worm and full wheel|
|suspension - front||semi elliptic springs|
|suspension -rear||semi elliptic springs|
| 16 inch (40 cm) drums
hand brake operates on rear wheels
front brakes optional
foot pedal operated transmission brake
|wheels/tyres|| Artillery type steel wheels
tyres - 820mm x 120mm