The Crossley IGL2 was the company's first six wheel vehicle and was introduced in 1926. (The IGL2 designation had also been used for versions of the original four wheel 1923 IGL)
It used an updated and lengthened version of the IGL1 truck chassis with the British War Office designed and patented twin axle rear bogie. It was fitted with the 25/30 type engine. The vehicle was supplied as a normal control (the driver's cab behind the engine) 6 x 4 chassis and was rated at 2 ton capacity.
In 1927 it was upgraded to 3 ton capacity as the Series 2, meeting
War Office specification 30C, and was fitted with either the 25/30 or
later the 30/70 engine.
It was also supplied with a Kegresse system tracked bogie.
The chassis numbers were 30xxx-304xx for the 25/30 engined and 502xx-504xx for the 30/70 engined versions.
1927 IGL2 truck.
Photo - Imperial War Museum
|Engine Type||Crossley 25/30 or 30/70|
|capacity|| 4531cc (25/30)
5266 cc (30/70)
|bore|| 25/30 - 4 inches (102mm)
30/70 - 4 1/16 inches (110 mm)
|stroke||5.5 inches (140 mm)|
|lubrication||pressure fed to main bearings.|
|max power|| 25/30 - 50 bhp
30/70 - 71 bhp at 2250 rpm
|fuel consumption (typical)|
|max speed (approx)|
|Gears||4 speed with high and low ratios.|
|Rear Axle|| Twin axle with four wheel drive
|wheelbase|| feet inches (mm)
|length||feet inches (mm)|
|suspension - front||semi elliptic springs underslung|
|suspension -rear||War Department four wheel bogie.|
|wheels/tyres||36 x 6|